Yankee Candle Company, Inc. is a publicly traded company (NYSE:YCC). Yankee Candle is the nation's leading designer, manufacturer, wholesaler and retailer of premium scented candles. Its brand is the most highly recognized brand of any premium scented candle manufacturer. The conception of Yankee Candle began Christmas 1969 when sixteen year old Mike Kittredge, too broke to buy his mother a present, melted some crayons to make her a candle. From that candle, the company has grown to encompass more than 366 stores located in 42 states, and a wholesale network of approximately 15,000 store locations nationwide.
Store locations are determined by a thorough review of demographics, income, population density levels, and the competitive environment.
The following specific criterion is preferred:
• Prototypical size of 2,500 sf
• Locations considered: Enclosed regional mall, enclosed super regional mall, lifestyle center
• Percent in centers/malls: 60-79
• Preferred co-tenants: Entertainment, fashion-oriented, upscale
• Population density targeted: 250,000
• Household density targeted: 100,000
• Radius: 5 mile(s)
• Traffic counts: 75,000 VPD
• Customer base: High, mid income, adult, female